Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yep I Know How to Sew

I have been looking for a new talent/hobby for the past year. I wanted to try flower arranging but evidently you have to go to floral school for that and I think I paid less to get my masters. I looked into cake decorating but thought that might be too pricey on my hips. So I got into running as my new talent but kept getting injured. And then it came to me....

I wanted to learn how to sew. Sure I sewed a dress in Young Women's for a Personal Progress goal but I am pretty sure my mom just did it for me. I also made a baby blanket for my first born child. He/She would know how hard I worked on it because I put blood, sweat, and tears into making that thing. You can even find my blood on the blanket! But this was all amateur stuff. I wanted to learn how to sew cute things! I have several friends that sew cute things all the time and I wanted to be like them. So I got a sewing machine for Christmas and some essential sewing supplies and I was ready. My first task was to sew a patchwork bag from a pattern my friend, Sarah gave me for Christmas. Seemed easy enough.

Well two hours later and a lot of "redoing", I was done with the first step! And then came the pleats. Pleats evidently are not usually something a beginner starts with. But my roommate, Cami, who is also a talented seamstress was able to help me through the pleat stage of my project. After two days and quite a bit of help from Cami, I had my completed bag! It is more a summer bag so I won't be using it anytime soon, but it was fun to make. I signed up for a beginning sewing class called, "Ready, Set, Sew" so maybe in that class I will start with some more basic stuff and stay away from pleats for a bit. I must be good though, I have already had a request to sew a friend's wedding dress. That will probably be my next project...

My little display: The finished bag, my new sewing machine, and my first pattern!

Patchwork bag up close. I may start my own line of patchwork bags. Let me know if you would like to purchase one!

4 comments:

  1. Good work Ms Angela! Super cute. I need to sew more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I LOVE that bag! :) What pattern is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!!! Such a cute bag!!! What a great thing to be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the bag...sorry my pattern wasn't more beginner friendly, but i just like to give you a challenge;)

    ReplyDelete