Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fishin' and Frolickin'

Well I have to admit I probably did more frolickin' than fishin' this weekend, but my first camping trip of the season was highly enjoyable. Saturday was free fishing day in Utah and my friend, Chris took this opportunity to make a camping trip out of a fishing trip with all his closest friends. We headed up Friday afternoon to Blawkhawk campground on the Nebo Loop. Green trees, snow-topped mountain peaks, and happy sun made for the perfect weekend getaway. After carefully choosing just the right spot with a meadow and big trees to shade our tents, we set up camp and waited for the rest of the group to arrive later that evening. Sitting around the campfire with 20 other people I caught up with old friends, made new friends, enjoyed a yummy foil dinner and a Smore or two, and nearly died of smoke inhalation. Okay the last part was a bit dramatic but the fire was very smoky and I found myself choking and dabbing away tears after being attacked by the smoke monster more than once.(Fortunately it was not the Smoke Monster from Lost, though had the same appearance at times.) The temperature was perfect, even the evening chill was very mild. There was a bit of a feisty wind that would make itself known at times, but it soon subsided making for a wonderful evening.

The next morning we awoke to birds chirping and another gorgeous sunny day. We got ready and headed to Payson Lakes to do some fishin'. This is where I admit I was merely a bystander in the fishing process. I brought a good book, enjoyed watching my friends fish, and took in some rays. I would have fished if I really wanted to. :) After a few hours with no real bites, we headed back to clean up camp and head home. On the way home we stopped to enjoy a small hike on the Nebo Loop called the Grotto. It took us to a quaint waterfall where we dipped our feet in the ice cold water then headed back to our cars. We parted with all our friends, then it was time to go home and enjoy a much awaited shower. I have washed my hair four times and still don't have the smoke smell out of my hair. I guess that smoke monster did more damage than I thought. It was a delightful weekend and I hope to post of many more campouts I will enjoy this summer. I do love Utah's mountains in the summer!


The view from our campsite. Pretty nice eh?


Kathryn, Suzanne, Me, and Kim enjoying our yummy tinfoil dinners.


The gang enjoying the campfire. This would be one of the rare moments the Smoke Monster was not attacking me.


The view of the lake, serene and peaceful. Good thing you can't hear the kids to the side of us yelling, "I got one! I got a fish!" So much for peaceful day at the lake.

3 comments:

  1. Um...what a fun weekend!! I have yet to take my first camping trip, but can't wait. You seriously are darling...in every photo you take...please don't be so photogenic...lol

    Happy summer! Hope you are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like lots of fun. The pics are beautiful. Oh... and how I also hate the smoke monster.... SO much! ha ha. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok you should be a writer...your write up was seriously so well written.

    and love the pictures...especially the one of the lake...gorgeous!

    thanks again for coming, helping andkeeping me company yesterday. so how did it go this morning? and btw, chris isn't working wed.

    ReplyDelete