Monday, June 15, 2009

Learning about my new home


Once I arrived to my cute little home in Arlington, VA I met two of my three roommates, Sharyn and Patti. They are so cute and we had a delightful dinner. They are both amazing cooks. I seem to always end up with roommates that know how to cook, yeah for me! I was asking them what they liked and didn't like about living in DC. One thing that came up was about the year of the Cicadas. I, like many of you I assume, had no idea what a Cicada was. They explained to me that it is a bug that only surfaces every 17 years but when they surface, they take over the DC area. These bugs are everywhere and they are loud. Thousands of them all over everything. I was so fascinated by this bug which sounded cool, yet gross at the same time, I "googled" it and found out that the last Cicada Arrival was in 2004. They make their appearance for 2-4 weeks in the month of May and then head back underground for 17 more years. Scientists have many theories about this species right down the reason they only come above ground every 17 years (some Mathematical reasoning that has to do with survival). So while I won't have Cicadas take over my home, street, and everything else in the city while I am here perhaps I will come back in the year 2021 to see this rare phenomenon. Look at me learning "stuff" my first night here!

This is a small gathering of cicadas on a tree. Imagine the whole tree covered with them. That is what my roomates told me it is really like!


1 comment: