Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Extra! Extra! City Girl Finds Her Curl in the Big Apple

I visited my friend, Tara in New York this past weekend. It was very fun! She is the food editor for Ladies Home Journal so I had a tour of the magazine, everyone should read it. She creates all the recipes you see in there, she is a genius! We spent most of Saturday shopping on 5th Avenue. I have my fall wardrobe! Then that afternoon I had an appointment at Devachan Salon, a salon that only serves curly haired folks. That's me!

This is a picture of the salon's hair washing place, fancy huh?


So my hairdresser, Rick basically told me everything I was doing with my hair was wrong. He taught me about the products I needed to use and there is even a specific towel to use when drying my hair. It was fun to be pampered and learn how to manage and style my curly hair after having it for 30 years. When it was all done, I had my natural curl with really no product in it and it felt soft and had lots of fun ringlets.

Here I am with my new, naturally curly hair! Rick said I don't need to cut it again for another four months. Anyone up for a trip to New York in October? :)

That night Tara and I saw The Little Mermaid on Broadway, it was cute. And Sunday we just relaxed after a busy day of shopping and running around New York. It was crazy to go from DC, which is a pretty big city, to New York. The minute I stepped off the bus, it was louder, way more crowded, dirtier, and smellier. If I become a real city girl, I don't know if New York is the city I would choose. Love to visit, glad to leave. Here are some pics of the weekend!


Fun in Times Square. So, so many people!


This is the view from Tara's terrace, where we enjoyed our Sunday lunch.

Me and Cute Tara saying good-bye on Sunday.

This is the bus that brought me back to DC and took 6 long hours to get here. The trip is supposed to take 4 hours! Lots and lots of traffic, something this "city girl" is not a fan of.

3 comments:

  1. Your hair is totally cute. And I agree with you 100%. Like visiting NY... would NEVER want to live there. I am jealous that you saw Little Mermaid though. I really want to see that one on Broadway. Love the new music in it. Look at you having a fun summer! I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHHHH...I am SO enjoying your reading about your life in D.C. and all the fun things you are doing! It makes me wish I was there! I am totally jealous, but glad you are making the most of your summer. Keep writing about it and taking awesome pictures so I can feel like I am on vacation too! Take care and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go to NY in October!

    Very cute hair! Do we need a fall wardrobe? Huh? haha Can't wait to see real fashion!

    ReplyDelete