Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Vacation During Vacation

Okay so even though my intention was to work while I lived in DC this summer, lets be honest, I have worked two days the whole time I have been here and have been playing lots and lots... I am on a very long, very fun vacation. Well my parents decided to come up to DC since they have NEVER been here ever, and I got to play tour guide with them. (They won't come visit me in Utah, but they will visit me when I live down the street from President Obama.)
We spent two days trying to see everything we could in Washington DC which equals tired feet from lots and lots of walking, but I think we saw all the important stuff! We even got a special tour of the House of Rep. Chambers on our Capitol Tour because I know important people that work on Capitol Hill. Sandwhiched in between our two day DC activities we drove to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia where my parents had a time share for the week. I toured Jamestown, and spent two full days in Williamsburg learning all about the Revolutionary War and how it affected that area. I now know all these cool facts which sadly I must keep to myself since I have no 5th grade class to share them with anymore. (Although I mentioned this to my principal and we are looking into me being a guest teacher so my knowledge may be passed on to our future;)
It is always a pleasure to see my parents and go on little vacations with them. I love them so!

Here we are about to start our tour of the Capitol. Can anyone guess where I get my goofiness from?

Every state has chosen two "famous" people statues to be on display in one of the rooms in the capital. Here is good 'ole Brigham Young, not a surprise that he was chosen to represent Utah. But the other statue for Utah is of the guy who invented chocolate, kind of random.

My mom LOVED taking her picture with me! (Hee, hee)
My mom and I are touching the walls of history! This is the orginal wall of the tower of the church that was built in Jamestown in 1607. Kinda cool!
Here is Thomas Jefferson reading the Declaration of Independence from the Capitol Building to the citizens of Williamsburg. They did lots of cool reenactments of Revolutionary events and activities and had lots of audience particpation...
My dad was enlisted into the militia to fight against the King! He is the big dude on the end looking very excited about just being made a member of the colonial army.

Aren't they so cute! This is at Arlington House where General Robert E. Lee lived. Arlington was my mom's favorite place. The tomb in the picture is Pierre L'Enfant's who had the plan to organize DC into the grid system of streets that is used today. He is overlooking the glorious city he planned.

2 comments:

  1. Darn cute, and you are one darn lucky lady to be doing sooo much this summer! I'm totally jealous. Even though I know you'll be jealous of my fancy new knees :) Looks and sounds like your parents had a great time as well...and heck yes they should visit you in Utah!!

    Your curls are as cute as ever...and I want to know the tricks your hairstylist told you to do to enhance your natural curls and make them so dang cute!

    Hope the rest of your time is awesome! When do you get home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun your parents came to see you! I'm so glad that you are having a blast while you are there. Sure beats the summer here. Enjoy it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete